Cerebellum???

My husband is 49 years old and has been having "balance issues" for quite sometime.  ENT Dr. cleared him and referred him to a neurologist.  One of our local Neurosurgeons was interested in Keith's case, since he had completed a lumbar fusion on him 5 years prior.  An MRI was done 2 weeks ago and resulted as NORMAL!!!  What a relief! Until today, he was referred by our Neurosurgeon to a Neurololgist.  The Neurologist said that the MRI was NOT normal and sent it back to the Radiologist to re-read.  He told my husband that his Cerebellum was 1/2 the size that it should be, essentially that it had "Shrunk".  My husband had a few questions, but is having difficulty putting words together as he would like and the M.D. told him to go home and Google it.  Another MRI is scheduled for next Wed. and he ordered a complete ataxia evaluation to be sent to MA.  Told my husband that it could take up to a month to get the results back... Keith explained to the M.D. that he has been a welder for 25 years (up until his back surgery in 05') and started having finger twitches, as he called it.  He began having difficulty signing his name and holding eating utensils over the last few years.  In the last year we have noticed that Keith has poor balance and falls alot, especially at night.  When climbing stairs, he uses both hands on the one handrail, one in front of the other.  He is unable to walk a straight line and when explaining something to him, he doesn't quite "get it" like he used to.  His memory is not nearly as clear as it once was.  For years we have been putting this off as poor gait related to multiple back surgeries, falling down/clumsiness related to pain medication and tremors related to years of welding.  Today has been a very rough day and a sad one.  After "Googling" it, I found no hope and now the fear that our daughters may have the "gene".  Do we just sit and wait for labs or is there anything that we can do in the mean time? How fast does this stuff progress??? I'm scared, he's scared (won't admit it), when and how do I explain to our kids?  He has had such a short fuse over the last couple of years and I just want them to know that Daddy's not mean, he's been sick.  I need some advice......  THANKING you in advance!

Jami
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Jami,
Ask his neurologist to test him for one of the SCA (spinal cerebellar ataxias)...I, and members of my family, have SCA-6 which affects gait, balance, fine motor, swallowing, speech and I believe memory.  It can be early or late onset, fast or slow progression.  Doesn't affect lifespan, just those areas that the cerebellum controls.  It is hereditary.  Google those SCAs and it might help.
Carl
Helpful - 0
have same problem , all of the symptoms .would like to know if it can be caused from accident of which i had in nov '06.been dealing with it since 3 days after accident.my spine dr. ,whom i dont see anymore doesnt seem to care and its driving me crazy.was fine till this.going to see neuro.by way it was job injury.              ***@****
Helpful - 0
What a lovely family.  I hope all of this can be explained and be no big deal, but the things you mention are serious symptoms.  Does Keith have any dizziness when he stands up.  Check his B/p on sitting and standing also loss of sweating & bladder problems.  I am wondering about MSA Shy drager, but I would think a good neuro would have considered that  illness as well.  If it is MSA it would be a bad dx, but your girls would not have to worry since it is not believed to be inherited.  I pray that whatever it is will be a happy outcome for your husband and entire family  You ddin't say what the Neuro said he thought was wrong?  God Bless
Helpful - 0
I am new at the forum stuff but have been dx, for 6 years of SCA6.  Curious about your husband.  The type I have is heredity.  Hope things are okay.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Degenerative Diseases Community

Tips for preventing one of the most common types of knee injury.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
How to bounce back fast from an ankle sprain - and stay pain free.
Patellofemoral pain and what to do about it.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.