Fish & Aquatic Pets Community
238 Members

What is this illness and how should I treat it?

Housing
What size is your tank? 5 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 82
Does your tank have a filter? Yes.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No but filter has a spout that aerates a lot.
Is your tank heated? Yes.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Brine Shrimp, blood worms, and betta flakes.
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice a day small amounts.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Every day.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?75%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Nutrafin betta plus or stress coat.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:7.2
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Went to Petsmart and the guy said the parameters were all "fine." Didnt give me a number. Said the water was a little hard is all.

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
Metallic looking splotches in the light. (Gold or rather brassy color.) Getting more yellow at the top of his head. Head is starting to look a little swollen to me. White patch on face has spread and now has red lesions. Spreading closer to mouth and some white patches on fins too. (He had slight fin rot which I treated.)

How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
No longer scratching himself but looking depressed.

When did you start noticing the symptoms?Two weeks ago.

Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
I started with Life Guard which merely took away the slight fin rot he had developed. Now I am doing a salt treatment and hydrogen peroxide baths. I need to diagnose before I medicate.

Does your fish have any history of being ill? He has only been with me for a month.
How old is your fish (approximately)? Not sure.

My baby betta died from what I believe is the same illness probably caused by cross contamination. He got really bloated and couldn't swim well which meant the bacterial or parasitic infection (I don't know yet) internalized. In the end I had to euthanize him. He was such a happy fry before; always making little bubbles!

Now I am trying to save my other betta. I am a big betta fan now and not so much a Petco one. I am trying to narrow down the illness so I can treat it properly before too late. He has a white growing patch on his face which is also found on his fins. The top of his head has a metallic sheen (probably velvet). After a while the white part of his face developed red streaks. His gills are starting to peek out just a bit and his head looks a little swollen. He looks very down but still swims and eats in a normal fashion.

He used to have a slight fin rot and itchiness which I took care of through just cleaning the tank very often. Today I gave him a peroxide bath while I sanitized his tank. It seems like columanris and velvet to me but I am not sure. The white patches don't looks so fuzzy or slimy to me. I am not sure if the white patches are fungal or bacterial but I am sure there is a parasite.

I am not sure, should I just treat for columnaris and then later for velvet? I have methalyne blue, malachite green, melafix/pimafix, and paraguard.

Please help me to identify this? I'll answer any questions. Quick replies are much appreciated.
Members of our Pet Communities share their Halloween pet photos.
Has your pet ever swallowed your prescription medicine? Vet tech Thomas Dock explores the top 10 meds that harm pets and what you can do to prevent a tragedy from happening.
Like to travel but hate to leave your pooch at home? Dr. Carol Osborne talks tips on how (and where!) to take a trip with your pampered pet
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.
How to lower your heart attack risk.