Aa
A
A
A
Close
General Surgery Community
336 Members
17916612 tn?1461363306

Can swelling cause xrays to show signs of a bone infection?

I had surgery to drain an infected flexor tendon on March 19th and the xray they took before surgery was showing bone loss and signs of a bone infection (in the proper clinical settings they said). I was hospitalized for 4 days and was getting antibiotics through an IV. I was then released on day 4 and sent home with antibiotics.Everything was going decent with the healing process but then a week and a half ago my finger started swelling again.(We had gotten the swelling down a lot). So they ran a comparison xray and it showed increased bone loss with bony erosion's; which had not been there before. After running a constant fever between 99.3 and 100.1 I made another appointment because my pain was getting worse as well as the swelling was slowly getting worse from where it had been during the healing. I voiced my concerns and was told that the xray results show what its showing due to the swelling and healing of my finger. I am just unsure if what I was told was true or if I should consult with an orthopedic surgeon for another opinion as I still have a fever and just feel extremely unwell (flu like symptoms and extremely exhausted). If anyone could please offer some advice to help or just ease my mind til my next appointment on Monday that would be beyond helpful. Thank you.
1 Responses
17916612 tn?1461363306
I got a second opinion and after getting a positive ANA test and my CRP levels rising from 5.5 to a 9.8 in ten days it got me an immediate appointment with rheumatology. I still however am curious iif anyone has any ideas or advice.
Have an Answer?
Top General Health Answerers
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
19694731 tn?1482849837
AL
80052 tn?1550343332
way off the beaten track!, BC
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.
Here are the pros and cons of the top fad diets and weight loss plans of the year.