General Surgery Community
336 Members

Can swelling cause xrays to show signs of a bone infection?

I had surgery to drain an infected flexor tendon on March 19th and the xray they took before surgery was showing bone loss and signs of a bone infection (in the proper clinical settings they said). I was hospitalized for 4 days and was getting antibiotics through an IV. I was then released on day 4 and sent home with antibiotics.Everything was going decent with the healing process but then a week and a half ago my finger started swelling again.(We had gotten the swelling down a lot). So they ran a comparison xray and it showed increased bone loss with bony erosion's; which had not been there before. After running a constant fever between 99.3 and 100.1 I made another appointment because my pain was getting worse as well as the swelling was slowly getting worse from where it had been during the healing. I voiced my concerns and was told that the xray results show what its showing due to the swelling and healing of my finger. I am just unsure if what I was told was true or if I should consult with an orthopedic surgeon for another opinion as I still have a fever and just feel extremely unwell (flu like symptoms and extremely exhausted). If anyone could please offer some advice to help or just ease my mind til my next appointment on Monday that would be beyond helpful. Thank you.
I got a second opinion and after getting a positive ANA test and my CRP levels rising from 5.5 to a 9.8 in ten days it got me an immediate appointment with rheumatology. I still however am curious iif anyone has any ideas or advice.