lighting???

I work in a position where I am at a desk a good part of the day under fluorescent lights. Everyday I get an awful headache and my neck & shoulders ache. If I where sunglasses or cover my face the headache lessens and once i leave work it goes away completely. I've been able to eliminate all other possibilities through trial & error. I am in hell every afternoon & it is getting very old. Can anyone help?
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Flourescent lights have significent effects on the nervous system. It is not a good idea to work under them.

You need aditional incandescents, if your boss will allow them. Not LEDs.

Luxor sells a lamp that replicates sunshine. It contains a flourescent ring bulb and an incandescent bulb in the middle. I have several.

There are sensors in the back of the eye that produce signaling substances in response to the various wavelengths of light.

There is apparently a genetic component. I find it impossible to work under pure flourescents.
Helpful - 0
I had a boss who works in the dark.  He said the lights give him headaches.  He had his own office, so that was an option for him.  If you work in a cubicle, you can still ask building services to remove the  flourescent lights above you.  Then get yourself a desk lamp.  Hope that helps.

-Johnny
http://www.FightRSI.com
(Blogging about Repetitive Strain Injury and Ergonomics)
Helpful - 0
A year ago, I finally figured out that it was the flourescent lights that were making me dizzy.  Dizzy to the point of knowing that I was walking crooked as if I had been drinking, feeling sick to my stomach, and a headache. Feeling like you can't think or talk clearly and in a fog.  Stores with long shiny aisles are terrible and some gyms bothered me more than others.  Going to the kids tournaments which meant spending a lot of hours in a gym were not good.  I have wore a hat a few times which cut down on the glare and even sunglasses. A close friend of mine could always look at me at know when I was getting dizzy by the look in my eyes. A couple months ago I had my annual eye exam and discussed this with my eye doctor.  He said he has heard of this but not to the extent of my symptoms.  He suggested trying a little bit of a tint in my new lenses.  I haven't had any problems with dizziness/flourescent lights since I've started wearing my new glasses with the tinted lenses.  Wish I would have known that was all I needed over a year ago.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Occupational Health & Safety Community

Discharge often isn't normal, and could mean an infection or an STD.
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.