Ostomy Community
387 Members

Slated for an colostomy

I am to have surgery for colon/rectal cancer in a few weeks.  The surgeon is to remove 12 inches of my colon/rectum and says I should have a permanent colostomy because my bowel muscles are extremely weak.  She said i could leave a more full life since I now have to empty my bowels so frequently and wear protection when I have to leave the house.  I'm confused because I've only had this problem the last couple of months, and a lot of the problem has to do with muscus and loose bowels, which I attribute to the cancer.  I'm wanting some input on this, as this seems quite drastic.  i thought perhaps kegel exercises or biofeedback might help after I've recovered from the surgery.  I was unable to ask her these questions because I was exhausted from the testing but will see her next week.  Please give me some feedback on this if you can.  Thank you.
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem