Aa
A
A
A
Close
Senior Health Community
483 Members

Ativan in the elderly

my 92 yr old father was place on Ativan while hospitalized and continued when he went to skilled PT, post hospitalization. He seems depressed and sleeps all the time and is confused....could it be the Ativan? He does not have anxiety issues, just trouble sleeping. Not sure why they put him on this, when Tylenol PM has worked for him for a long time. Can you help???
2 Responses
996946 tn?1503252712
My 91 year old father-in-law recently was hospitalized with those symptoms.  Whwn he was monitored they found that his heart rate dipped down to 29.  His heart rate would be in the 50's and 60's normally but would drop lower when he rested or slept.  

When the nurses got alerted by the low rate, they immediately called the Dr and he insisted that he needed a pacemaker.  We were scared for him, being so old and all but it turned out to be the best thing in the world for him.  He is more mentally alert, not sleeping all the time, and actually sleeping better at night.  It has totally turned his life around.  He has really become his active former self, a real pleasure to be around.  i would have him heart-monitored and see what his heart is really doing.
144586 tn?1284669764
Ativan has been around a while and is a safe medication, however it can cause confusion and lethargy. Other things being equal, discuss with his health care provider the reasons the medication was prescribed.  There may be a "missing piece". Discontinuing the medication should have no serious side effects.
Have an Answer?
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Could our telomeres hold the key to curing cancer and preventing aging? Learn more in this article from Missouri Medicine.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
How to lower your heart attack risk.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Protect against the leading cause of blindness in older adults
Keep your bones strong and healthy for life